All food that is processed has preservatives added to it to keep a long shelf life, and let’s not forget that most jarred tomato sauces are also heavy-handed with unnecessary amounts of sugar, salt and oils. Call me crazy but I just do not see the point of adding sugar to a tomato sauce? One also has to consider whether the ingredients used are sprayed with chemicals/pesticides and are in fact Genetically Modified Organisms -GMO’s.
That is a lot to consider for one little small jar of supermarket bought tomato sauce?
Thankfully, as we love tomatoes, my husband grows a lot of lot of them during the Summer Months. We eat as many as we can as they grow, but we do always have an abundance. Not wanting them to go to waste we like to can some for the winter months, and make our own tomato sauces. We do a few different varieties of sauces and the one I am highlighting today is Roasted Tomato.
It is so nice to always have fresh made tomato sauce in the refrigerator, especially made from ingredients which we know to be safe in quantity and quality.
A tomato pasta sauce can be as simple as 6 ingredients – tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, olive oil & sea salt.
What You Need
- 12 San Marzano Tomatoes (cut in half long ways)
- 3 Beefsteak Tomatoes (cut in to pieces of similar size to the San Marzano tomatoes)
- Full Head of Garlic (peeled of skin)
- 2 Sprigs of Oregano (remove leaves from stem)
- 3 Small White Onions (cut lengthways into thin slices)
- A quarter of cup of Olive Oil
- Sea Salt to taste