Here at Willy B Mum, we love USA grown, non-GMO Della Rice, so we jumped at the chance to spread the good word about them with this article, by creating a plant-based rice stir.
All Della Rice is gluten-free, and is available at ShopRite supermarkets in the North Eastern part of the United States. Or, you can find a stockist in your state by clicking HERE.
So what is a “stir”, basically it is your creation using Della Rice. A stir also goes by other names like a scrap bowl or a buddha bowl. Combine a protein, some veggies and a sauce and serve it all on top of rice. This is usually created with food you have immediately on hand in your home. It is a wonderful formula to be able to come up with a hearty creative dish every time.
Brown Rice & Almond Milk Stir
At the moment, I am on a family ski-trip in Utah, and was looking for something to make that is delicious that my family could eat while up in the air, while traveling from New York City. Honestly, I am not a fan of food served on planes, it is not the best, and being a vegan there are not a lot of healthy options, well for my family’s standards anyway.
We flew out of NYC in the morning, so it had to be a breakfast friendly stir. So, I came up with a Brown Rice & Almond Milk Stir, with the help of my husband, who is an amazing cook by the way; thanks Babes! This stir worked well served straight up to my 4-year-old Son, and with portions packed into a container, to take on our plane trip early the next day.
This stir is high in protein, is adaptable as to what ingredients you use, and can be made easily with kitchen staples. Which is another reason I love this recipe, I did not have to head to the supermarket to pick up additional ingredients, as I had them already.
I also used a rice cooker, which I have only had for a few weeks, but Geez Louise there is no turning back for me, it is so easy to cook rice in. Just put the ingredients in it, hit the appropriate button, and wait. It is so convenient, not to mention it saves the worry of whether your rice is going to turn out okay, which had always been a concern for me in the past cooking rice. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes not so well!
What You Will Need
- 1 cup of uncooked Della’s Light Brown Basmati Rice
- 3 cups of almond milk (or any kind of milk for that matter)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
What To Do
- Add uncooked rice to rice cooker bowl
- Following the manufacturers instructions, fill the bowl with milk to the line which corresponds with the 1 cup of uncooked rice. This should be around 2 cups of liquid, so you are going to keep the 3rd cup of milk out of the bowl, and put that to the side
- Add the sea salt, coconut oil, vanilla essence and ground cinnamon to the bowl also. Stir with a spoon so it is mixed well
- Close lid, hit the “brown rice” button, and wait till it is cooked, usually around 45 minutes give or take
- Once cooked, add the additional cup of milk, stir well
- Serve on a plate, add blueberries and garnish with fresh maple syrup
If you do not have a rice cooker bowl, you can still make this recipe in a pot on a stove top, much the same way. Using the same measurements, bring the rice to a boil. Cover with a lid, and put heat to simmer. Once the milk has evaporated and the rice is cooked, add the additional cup of milk, stirring in. Add blueberries, garnish with maple syrup and serve.
I am really happy with the way this stir turned out, especially as I mentioned earlier, it is adaptable. Next time I plan on adding sultanas to the mix (Australian for raisins), and I’d also love to figure out, if adding some mashed bananas will work well. Maybe some nutmeg too?
Well today may just be your lucky day, as through Friday April the 10th, Della Rice is randomly giving away 50 rice cookers to 50 winners who submit their own #CreateAStir creation. Meaning, you do not have to be a gourmet chef or a fabulous photographer to win this contest, rather it is just the luck of the draw.
Use the entry form below to enter, and visit the Della Rice facebook page HERE to be inspired!
Good Luck and thanks for stopping by Willy B Mum!