Coconut, Blueberry, Banana, Macadamia Nut Mini Muffins (Vegan)
My little boy has allergies to cow dairy products and gluten, so not wanting him to miss out, I created this gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, sugarless mini-muffin recipe by taking and adding from a few different recipes.
It was my first time experimenting making muffins, and besides over cooking the first batch a little too much, these turned out surprisingly well; being super moist and really delicious. I am very proud of myself!
Happily, Miles Storm was eager to help out in the kitchen which turned into a fun afternoon activity for both of us. Cooking with him is such a lovely bonding experience – a lot of mess, a lot of questions and a lot of laughter!
I suggest serving the mini-muffins plain (above photo) as part of a healthy breakfast, or even decorated (bottom photo) with toppings like fresh banana. Who doesn’t love bananas! Alternatively, as a special treat, dress the mini-muffins with sprinkles. For this batch I used the Australian multi-colored alternative known as “hundreds and thousands”.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 Cups of Almond Meal
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil)
- 1/3 cup of apple cinnamon sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Apple Sauce with Cinnamon)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed until smooth
- 1 cup of macadamia nuts, chopped small
- 2 cups of organic blueberries
- 1/4 cup of coconut shreds
WHAT TO DO
- 01. Pre-Heat your oven to 350 Farenheit
- 02. Either, grease a mini-muffin tray or line a tray with non-bleached baking cups
- 03. In a large bowl mix together the almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, coconut shreds and macadamia nuts
- 04. In a separate bowl mix together the coconut water, coconut oil, apple cinnamon sauce and banana
- 05. Add the moist ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well, folding the blueberries lightly in at the end
- 06. Evenly dollop the mixture into the muffin tin
- 07. Bake for 25 minutes
- 08. Let cool and serve