I love cauliflower, it is absolutely one of my favorite foods on the planet. I love it roasted, as a salad and mashed just like potatoes. I have always wondered about making it as a base for a soup and this week while on the Treehugger Website I saw a recipe for “Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Aged Cheddar” and it got me thinking…..
The thing is, the recipe on TreeHugger calls for dairy products and I am not a fan of eating any animal products in my diet if I can help it. My Son also develops eczema when he has cow milk or cheese, and because of this, my husband and I stopped giving either to him a long time ago.
So, I decided to create a non-animal-product twist that is better suited to my family needs by using unsweetened coconut milk and a vegan cheese substitute instead. For my first go at it, it turned out really delicious, and because of the thick consistency can easily be substituted as a pasta sauce or even as a dip (like hummus) with veggie chips or raw carrots.
Total cooking time with preparation is around 2.5 hours and serves 4 generous adult servings.
Cauliflower has many health benefits including being a great food to eat if pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant. Cauliflower is full of folate B9 which protects from birth defects and low birth weight in babies.
It is also high in important B vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and thiamine, can aid in weight loss and has been proven to considerably help prevent certain kinds of cancer like prostate, breast and colon.
This is just to start, there are also many other positives about eating cauliflower like aiding the body with digestion, supporting in anti-inflammatory issues like arthritis and being chock-a-block in antioxidants.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 whole organic cauliflower, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium organic onion, cut into small chunks
- 15 whole organic garlic cloves
- Small handle of fresh rosemary leaves (remove main stem)
- 4 tablespoons of organic olive oil
- 3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (I used GO Veggie!™ Mozzarella Style Shreds)
- 2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- Salt and Pepper to taste (easy on the salt)
- Sliced organic Kalamata olives to use as a garnish
**My family prefers only to serve & use organic foods as the whole vibe of eating pesticides and chemicals on your food is very frightening. More so, for my Son, I worry about him more than myself… but doesn’t every Mother!
ROAST THE VEGETABLES
- Pre-Heat oven to 350F
- Place the cauliflower, garlic, rosemary and onion into a baking tray lined with olive oil
- Cover baking tray with aluminium foil
- Bake for one hour and then remove foil
- Increase heat to 400F and bake for another 30 minutes
- Remove from oven
PREPARE THE SOUP
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, veggie cheese substitute and the roasted vegetables in large soup pot
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes covered
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender
Awesome – you are done!
When serving, garnish with some sliced kalamata olives. Olives and Cauliflower really compliment each other well.
Thanks for reading my Blog, please feel free to leave comments with any questions and feedback you may have.