Getting my Juice on AGAIN, and the benefits one (that is you) can obtain!
Last week, after being fed up with the way I was feeling physically, I decided to do another juice cleanse. The holidays – Thanksgiving through New Years are tough as far as all the foods on offer – and I was feeling sluggish, bloated and just unhealthy! I needed a kickstart to be better with my routines, and not eating for a few days really helps me to take the time to be still, reflect and focus. This cleanse was the third one that I have done in the last ten months! Obviously, I am a big fan of juicing. I love the benefits and the way I feel doing it. I also like the discipline of making a decision and sticking to it.
I always use the same company; NYC based Blue Print Cleanse (launched in 2007). I love their juices which are cold-pressed (which preserves a higher nutritional level compared to the traditional heat causing kitchen blade juicers), and are 100% organic. Love that!
Additionally, it is personally convenient as it is delivered straight to your door on ice, in six 16-ounce juices per day numbered bottles so you know when to drink them. The 5 day cleanse cost around $250, which includes instructions, phone support, online support and a really nice cooler bag!
The last 2 cleanses I did for a total of 3 days each which is the minimum prescribed by Blue Print Cleanse. I was also still breastfeeding my Son when I did both of them. However, this cleanse was different as I extended it to 5 days and I was not breastfeeding anymore. I took it up a notch, I was capable of handling the 2 extra days as I knew what to expect. I chose t the highest level of BP cleanse being Excavation, there are 2 other lower levels being Foundation and Renovation. The Excavation Cleanse consists of 4 green juices, a spicy lemonade and a serving of my beloved cashew milk daily.
The theory behind a juice cleanse is that when liquid is extracted from the fruits/vegetables/nuts the vitamins, minerals, and enzymes of the nutrient-dense liquid are quickly absorbed by the body in a more effective way.
History tells us that juicing dates back to the biblical years, thousands of years ago. Yes, you heard it here, juicing is as vintage as the oldest religions. From right across our globe; people in Peru were making a traditional passion fruit juice mixed with water, and the Polynesians were whipping up a drink from Noni fruit which is well documented to hold many health benefits. Juices were also promoted in The Dead Sea Scrolls saying “A pounded mash of pomegranate and fig” resulting in “profound strength and subtle form.” Long story short – if you juice regularly you are doing a good thing for you body, spirit and mind.
Benefits of a Cleanse
- Weight loss. Obviously, by not eating for a few days you are going to lose weight. With the 5 day cleanse I just did, I lost around 5 pounds. The key is to keep it off by eating healthy, and making sure that you exercise regularly. You cannot jump straight back into bad eating habits and you have to be smarter with your food intake choices.
- Mental clarity and a sense of accomplishment. I love deciding to do something, and sticking with it till the end. Discipline is a good skill to master and makes you feel so good at the end of accomplishing a goal.
- Clearer skin/Brighter eyes. My skin is always as clear as crystal after a cleanse, and my eyes always look brighter too. **Please see photo for positiveness in clearness, my face is glowing.
- Increased Energy. I did a high-energy kickboxing class every day on the cleanse. I felt so alive & energized. I was focused on punching and kicking harder and stronger. It was awesome.
- Elimination of toxins. This is a big one for me. I want all of that “bad” stuff out of my body and by doing a cleanse you get rid of a lot of the stagnant vibes. If you are in for a double whammy, you can add a colonic treatment to the process. I incorporated this for the first time and I will write about that experience also…. because I know you are all dying to know!
- Digestive system has a well deserved break. It is very trying, physically, for humans to break down processed foods, dairy products, alcohol and meat. Doing a cleanse just stops that process and as a result a lot of your bodily organs have a chance to relax and rejuvenate.
Downsides of a Cleanse
- Headaches. To avoid this make sure you drink a lot of water. Headaches appear from dehydration. When doing a cleanse you have to keep your water intake up. Very important.
- Low Blood Sugar and Dizziness. I have been here for sure, a few times I have felt “out there” and had to sit down till it passed. A mild sacrifice for all the wonderful feelings/benefits I get in return. A cleanse is worth a dizzy spell.
- Sluggishness. I have heard this can happen, but for me personally I have not experienced it. Every Body reacts differently, and as long as you are well aware of the things you may experience it will be easier to get through.
- Pissed Off, Angry, Kind of Child. I went through this, especially when my husband was loudly asking my Son what he wanted for dinner and listing all the yummy options. I just slammed the door and told my husband he was mean!
- On the “Loo” (Australian for toilet) a lot and constantly. Taking in all these liquids, you are going to spend plenty of time doing wee-wee. When I do my cleanses I make sure I am close to home, it is almost like being under house-arrest the whole time – you cannot go far. This is Valuable advice.
- Getting hungry means you can cheat but is it worth it? Most juice cleanse companies offer a “cheat sheet”, but really what is the point of eating a piece of cucumber? No point to me. However, I did consume something that is on a “cheat sheet” and that was a cup of black coffee each morning. Yes, I had an espresso each morning. It was still a liquid. Judge me if you will!
I highly recommend doing a juice cleanse to all of your curious ones out there. It is one of those things that you have to try for yourself to really understand. After all, in the United States the juice cleanse business is now profiting in the tens of millions of dollars annually. Majority rules on this one. It is also a well-known medical fact that a plant-based diet is better for you physically than eating animals/animal products, so what harm can JUST drinking some awesome organic juices do to you? Not much mate!
**If interested I wrote about my first Juice Cleanse HERE