Ever since starting this Blog 6 months ago, I have become a domestic goddess with an emphasis on cooking (as my girlfriend Yfat put it). It is in part that now being a mother I want the very best for my Son. It is important to my husband and I that he eats good, healthy, mainly organic clean foods. Secondly, I also need material to write this blog!!
As I have written before, Miles Storm is a vegetarian (eating a small amount of fish sometimes at his father’s request not mine) who cannot eat any cow products or any products with gluten. I have also been a vegetarian for 22 years. In my opinion it is a healthier way to live. With that said, it means that we are always coming up with new awesome things to make, my family is in a stage of exploration, oh yes we are.
At the moment, Miles Storm is going through a phase where he likes to dip his pasta in tomato pasta sauces. He will say “Dip, Dip, Pasta, Pasta”. Today, I thought I would try something different for lunch and came up with my take on a soup in one of my Vegan cookbooks.
I also must admit that this is the first soup I have ever made! Yes, you heard me right. It was so easy to make and I am so happy with it, and the most important thing is Miles Storm loved it too! Can’t wait to make it for Thanksgiving dinner this year!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR SOUP
- 1 organic apple of your choice (I used a granny smith), peeled and diced
- I large organic butternut squash, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of light coconut milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage)
- 1 large white onion, chopped in small pieces
- 2 cups of organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons of curry powder
- 3 teaspoons of ginger
- Tiny bit of nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
WHAT YOU NEED FOR GARNISH
- A handful of organic kale, cut ribbon style
- Half an organic onion, kept in circles
- Jalapeno pepper, thinly cut
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into small bite size pieces
- Place butternut squash in baking pan with a small amount of olive oil, cover with aluminium foil and roast in oven until done, somewhere in the 1 hour mark
- Add 3 tablespoon of the olive oil into a soup pot and sauté the onions on medium heat for about 15 minutes until softly cooked.
- Add the roasted butternut squash, coconut milk, vegetable broth, apple, ginger, nutmeg, salt, pepper and curry powder.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Pour mixture into food processor and blend until a puree
- Before serving use the remaining olive oil to sauté the kale, onions and jalapeño for garnish. Placing on top of soup in serving dish right before serving.
Voila, you are now have the skills to be a Domestic Goddess too, impressing your friends and family with a yummy vegan healthy soup!
Pingback: Roasted Butternut Squash Calzones | The Hearty Herbivore
Pingback: Butternut Squash Soup & Sting Salve: A Cure-all for Fall. By Becky Sacchetti « Four Tickets Please
Pingback: Get Your Plant ON! Happy Thanksgiving Everybody. « Willy B Mum
We’re big fans of soup in this house – especially with this COLD! I can’t wait to try this! YUM.
This one is perfect for Thanksgiving dinner too!
Love all of the individual flavors in this soup, can’t wait to try them all mixed together. Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome. It is a staple at our Thanksgiving every year now, it is a very interesting soup, and delicious too.